Product · Fully Remote Fully Remote
Timeular is on a mission to enable a more healthy and rewarding work-life for 10M+ people through better time management. 70,000 users have done so already.
We are looking for an experienced backend engineer passionate about working on backend services autonomously.
You will be working closely with our backend, frontend, eCommerce developers, and QA engineers.
The first couple of months you'll be working on:
- Gaining confidence and familiarity with our backend services
- Implementing features on existing services
- Fixing bugs on existing services
- Conceptualising and developing new services
- Maintaining and improving our OPS-setup
- Investigating and fixing performance issues and bugs
Your long-term responsibility is to improve the security, reliability, and extend the functionality of our backend service autonomously, and proactively keep our infrastructure up to date.
We know you can’t perform at your best from day one because everything is new and there is a lot of information to absorb first. That’s why you’ll get assigned an onboarding buddy right after joining Timeular to assist you while getting started with your new challenges and all the questions you might have along the way.
You might ask what's already in place regarding backend services?
The main technologies for our web-based microservices are Kotlin and more recently, Rust. Our tech stack evolves over time based on our needs and preferences and we also had services built with Node.js, Golang and Java in the past.
On the infrastructure side, we run Kubernetes on AWS for our cluster, Postgres in the data layer and RabbitMQ for events.
For provisioning and setup we rely mostly on Ansible and Terraform. Regarding monitoring, we use Prometheus, Grafana and the the ELK stack for logging.
We love to experiment with new technologies, when it makes sense, and are never afraid to try something new.
Overall we're looking for someone who has experience with backend services, great written, technical communication skills, self reliant, user centered thinking and fluent English.
Our way to work
- 20 fully distributed people from 9 different countries and cultures. We do not discriminate on the basis of any factor and are looking to increase our diversity even more.
- Communicate a lot asynchronously in written form without the urgency to respond to everything immediately. Mainly through Slack, Notion, and Gitlab.
- Direct, honest and transparent culture
- 40h workweek is enough, no nightshifts, plenty of uninterrupted time to focus
- Few meetings, meeting free Thursday, but lot's of opportunities to bond remotely
- Respect time: we show up, deliver, and proactively communicate in time. We respect everyone's private time unless there is a real (real, real, ...) urgency
- Work when and where you want from UTC-5 (US east coast/Peru) to UTC+2 (Western Europe/Egypt)
- Use quarterly OKRs to focus on what matters most and learn from our assumptions
- Meet 3 times a year in one place for a team retreat (during the pandemic they are virtual)
What we pay and offer you to live a healthy life outside of work
- The transparent salary for this role at hiring ranges between 64,000€ - 88,000€/USD 76,000 - 104,000/CAD 95,000 - 130,000, depending on the city you’re in, your experience and your vacation days preference (see below).
- After one year of working full-time at Timeular you can participate in the employee stock option pool.
- Work where and when you want. You control your time.
- 50 days of paid holidays (including national holidays) because we’ve learned that time off is the best source for great ideas. In case you don't want so many days off so you can choose to get 40 for +5% salary instead.
- Three paid team retreats per year to spend an incredible time together discovering unique locations and amazing food. All costs covered. Now during the pandemic we host them virtually and it's still a lot of fun.
- Paid parental leave and flexibility to adapt your work schedule to your family schedule.
- Quarterly achieved objectives will be rewarded with 500€ - 1000€/quarter to invest in your health, growth, and workplace.
About the application process
We don’t need resumes, we care about who you are today, what you have achieved so far and where do you want to go. And we don’t believe in time-consuming cover letters. We believe asking you specific questions is easier than writing a cover letter.
Our application process is pretty simple: we start by asking you a few questions in written form, you answer them the best you can, we read it and, if we like it, we jump on a call to get to know each other better. If that goes well, we do a test period so we both can verify our expectations and if we both agree, you’re in.
As we always get many applications it might take some time till we get back to you after having evaluated all the applications but we will get back.
Make your time count with us,